Malta Permanent Residence Programme
- Last updated on . Written by Offshore Protection.
Malta is an attractive European nation situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. Many are drawn to its shores thanks to its excellent climate, high quality of life, and welcoming people. It has also become one of the most popular nations in Europe and the world to obtain residency and/or citizenship by investment.
In exchange for mixed investment in property and a government fee/contribution, it is possible to acquire Maltese permanent residency within 4 – 6 months, with a total minimum cost of approximately EUR 150,000.
Table of Contents:
- Malta Permanent Residence Programme Background
- Why Choose Malta?
- How to Qualify for the MPRP?
- Application Process and Timeline
Malta Permanent Residence Programme Background
Historically, Malta was popular for offering one of the only European citizenship by investment programs. However, Maltese citizenship by investment is extremely costly, coming to approximately $880,000 in total.
Due to the cost of their citizenship by investment being so high, and the fact that many investors only require the benefits of permanent residence, Malta launched their Permanent Residence Program (MPRP) in 2021.
This has made it possible to acquire permanent residence in Malta for a fraction of the cost compared to their citizenship by investment program, whilst still conferring many of the same benefits. Furthermore, obtaining permanent residence in Malta can be the first step in obtaining eventual citizenship by naturalisation.
As a result of the launch of this program, Malta has seen a surge of new interest in foreign investors moving to their shores.
Go here for more on Malta Citizenship by Investment program
Why Choose Malta?
Like its extremely successful citizenship by investment program, the MPRP has also proved itself to be one of the best residence by investment programs available in the world today. Some of the key advantages include:
1. Lifelong European Accommodation
Malta is an established part of the European Union, and so its MPRP program provides the successful applicants with European residence that is valid for an indefinite period of time.
There are a multitude of benefits to this, including visa-free access to the rest of Europe for both work and travel for 90 days out of any 180-day period.
Acquiring residence by investment in Malta is relatively affordable compared to their more expensive citizenship by investment program, as well as relative to other top-tier residence by investment programs.
Malta offers two investment options (one involves purchasing real estate while the other involves renting). The cheaper option will cost a total of only EUR 150,000 (which includes five years rent costs).
3. Family members included
Spouse, unmarried dependent children (any age), and dependent parents and grandparents can all be included in the MPRP application for an additional fee.
4. Few requirements
There are no minimum stay requirements in order to qualify for residency, nor are there any strenuous language requirements or other special criteria to be met.
5. Path to citizenship
Permanent residence in Malta can ultimately lead to citizenship after 5 years of residency; however, to qualify you will have to meet other requirements such as physical presence in Malta during the first five years of residency.
6. Excellent living standards
Malta is one of the most liveable places in the world. It has the high-quality living standards typical of wealthy European nations, along with an excellent climate, beautiful scenery, and friendly inhabitants. It also has top class health care and education, making it an ideal place for families to move to.
7. Tax advantages
Malta is a tax efficient country, so becoming a resident for tax purposes can help to optimise your tax structure.
How to Qualify for the MPRP?
In order to qualify for residency by investment in Malta you must first meet the following basic criteria:
- Be a non-EU citizen over the age of 18
- Have a clean criminal record, be in good health, and be of good character,
- Be capable of making the qualifying investment, and provide evidence of the source of funds used
- Have sufficient income or financial resources to support yourself in Malta
- Have a net worth of at least EUR 500,000 (with a minimum of EUR 150,000 being in financial assets)
- Hold the qualifying property investment for a minimum of five years.
Malta offers two different investment options to qualify for their MPRP program:
1. Property Purchase Option
In order to qualify for the property purchase option, the applicant must:
- Purchase property for at least in EUR 300,000 in South Malta or Gozo, or at least EUR 350,000 elsewhere in Malta. The property must be held for at least 5 years.
- Make a one-time government contribution of EUR 68,000.
- Make a EUR 2,000 donation to a Malta NGO.
2. Property Rental Option
To qualify for the property rental option, the applicant must:
- Rent property for at least five years with a minimum annual rent of EUR 10,000 in South Malta or Gozo, or EUR 12,000 elsewhere in Malta.
- Make a one-time government contribution of EUR 98,000.
- Make a EUR 2,000 donation to a Malta NGO.
In both of the above options, the applicant must pay the following additional fees for adding dependents to their application:
- EUR 7,500 for each dependent spouse, parent, or grandparent.
- EUR 5,000 for each adult dependent child.
The property rental option significantly reduces the initial capital required, but it does increase the government contribution amount.
In addition, you will have the added rental expense as opposed to a property investment where you will ideally be able to recover your initial investment or make a profit. Malta is a premier European destination which makes it a good place to invest in real estate.
Application Process and Timeline
The application process is as follows:
- Prepare and submit the necessary documents and paperwork. This includes the application form, along with identity and passport copies, proof of address, bank statements, proof of source of investment funds, police clearance certificate, etc.
- Wait for the Maltese authorities to review the documents and perform background checks.
- Receive confirmation of approval (this is not a final approval certificate, but a conditional approval based on the applicant fulfilling all the additional necessary requirements).
- Fulfil the qualifying investment requirements, and submit proof thereof.
- Complete in-person application process and biometrics in Malta.
- Receive your permanent residency certificate and residence card. with the entire process takes 4 – 6 months to complete.
The Malta Permanent Residency Program is an ideal entry to European residency and ultimately citizenship for those that are not able to cover the hefty investment for outright citizenship in Malta.
It is one of the more affordable residency by investment programs in Europe, and has thus become extremely popular in in its short lifetime. Permanent residency in Malta provides most of the same benefits as full citizenship, for a fraction of the cost, making it a worthwhile option to consider.