Benefits of an International Business Company
- Last updated on . Written by Offshore Protection.
Incorporating an International Business Company (IBC) can be a great way to eliminate your taxes, protect your assets, and internationalize your portfolio.
In this article we will explore what exactly an International Business Company (IBC) is, its various uses and benefits, how to go about forming an IBC, and the best places to do so.
Table of Contents:
- What Is An International Business Company?
- How Can An IBC Help Your Business?
- Benefits Of An IBC
- Uses Of An IBC
- How Do You Incorporate An IBC?
- Incorporation Requirements
- Registration Process
- Where To Incorporate Your IBC?
- 1. Panama
- 2. Cayman Islands
- 3. Belize
- 4. Nevis
- 5. The British Virgin Islands (BVI)
- Why Do You Need Expert Guidance?
What is an International Business Company?
An International Business Company (IBC) is a special type of offshore company that is incorporated in a tax-neutral offshore environment and receives favourable treatment.
One of the features of IBCs is that, to qualify for the special tax advantages, they are not allowed to conduct business activities within their host country. They are free to conduct normal business activities granted all such activities take place outside of the borders of the jurisdiction in which they are incorporated.
The jurisdictions which allow the incorporation of these special offshore companies usually place importance on confidentiality, convenience, and cost reductions.
How Can an IBC Help Your Business?
IBCs are ideal for investors and entrepreneurs who are looking for an offshore vehicle that offers significant asset protection, financial privacy, and tax optimization.
Benefits of an IBC
- Extremely Low Tax Rates: one of the primary benefits of IBCs is the significant tax reductions which they offer. In most jurisdictions, IBCs are taxed at rates ranging from 0% - 3% corporate taxes.
- Favourable Legislative Environment: the jurisdictions which allow IBCs usually provide favourable legal environments to encourage offshore investors. These include minimal legal requirements, as well as legislature which afford the IBC special privileges and freedoms.
- Easy Incorporation Process: The incorporation process is normally extremely easy and fast (as little as a day in some jurisdictions). There are few requirements, and the formation costs are minimal.
- Few Restrictions and Requirements: This usually includes no minimal capital requirements, no exchange restrictions, few ownership limitations, and the freedom to engage in all kinds of business activities (as long as they take place offshore).
- Ownership: IBCs can be owned by a single shareholder/director who can be the same natural person or legal entity of any nationality.
- Privacy: Confidentiality and anonymity of ownership and business records are key features of IBCs.
- Asset protection: IBCs are incredibly powerful asset protection tools which keep your wealth safely out of reach of lawsuits, bankruptcy claims, and other risks.
Uses of an IBC
There are many ways in which IBCs are typically used. Some of the top uses include:
- Vehicles for international trade
- Asset protection tools
- Conducting sensitive and anonymous financial transactions
- Avoiding trade and currency restrictions
- Vehicles for intellectual property
- Generating investment returns
- Diversifying portfolios
How Do You Incorporate an IBC?
Incorporating an IBC is generally a fast, affordable, and simple process. The top jurisdictions in which to form an IBC have made the process as straight-forward as possible so as to encourage offshore investors to incorporate an IBC.
The exact requirements vary in each jurisdiction, but they usually include the following:
- A requirement to submit the following documents to the relevant authority:
- The identity of the shareholder along with certified copies of passport and visa,
- A detailed business plan stating the type of business entity, and its intended purpose and activities,
- Articles of Association or similar document (depending on the jurisdiction),
- Memorandum of Association or similar document.
- Incorporation fee
- Proof of funding and ability to manage the business activities outlined
Once you have chosen the jurisdiction in which you would like to incorporate an IBC, the registration process is generally as follows:
- Register the IBC with the appropriate regulatory authorities and submit all documents which are required
- Submit the detailed business plan and other metrics which are asked for
- Submit any required incorporation/licensing fee
- Wait for approval from the authorities after they have assessed your application
- Once the IBC has been approved, you can proceed by setting up your desired business structure along with opening an offshore bank account in the jurisdiction you have chosen
Where to Incorporate your IBC?
The best jurisdictions in which to incorporate an IBC are tax-neutral offshore financial centres which have specific legislation pertaining to the beneficial incorporation of IBCs.
Five of the top jurisdictions to incorporate an International Business Company are:
Panama (aka the “Hub of the Americas”) is undoubtedly one of the most attractive choices for incorporating an IBC.
It offers low corporate tax rates, high levels of confidentiality, extreme ease and convenience, as well as one of the most affordable incorporation processes around.
2. Cayman Islands
The Cayman Islands have been a long-time favourite among the offshore centres. Cayman Islands offers zero corporate taxes, complete financial privacy, and access to an offshore centre with a world-class economy and stable political system.
It is also one of the best places on this list for a beautiful beach holiday, which you can enjoy while setting up your IBC in the jurisdiction.
Belize is another one of the Caribbean favourites for incorporating an IBC. Its proximity to the US, along with its rapid incorporation process (it is possible to incorporate an IBC in less than a day) both add to its appeal. It also offers the usual zero corporate taxes which are typical of genuine offshore tax havens, along with strong asset protection laws and privacy.
The one downside of Belize is that it has fallen out of favour in the global scene in recent years and is regarded as a less reputable jurisdiction in which to form a company.
The island of St. Kitts & Nevis is famous for its offshore financial services and citizenship by investment programs. A Nevis LLC offers probably the best levels of asset protection of all the jurisdictions, with strict laws making it nearly impossible for claimants to file and win a lawsuit against your assets.
5. The British Virgin Islands (BVI)
Last but definitely not least is the British Virgin Islands. BVI is quite probably the most popular country in the world in which to incorporate an offshore company.
This is partly because it is one of the only genuine offshore tax havens that also has an excellent global reputation. An offshore company in the BVI which does not conduct any of its business activities within the island will be deemed an IBC, and thus qualify for complete local tax exemptions and a myriad of other benefits.
BVI offers zero corporate taxes, a high degree of asset protection and privacy, and access to good international trade opportunities. The only disadvantage is that it is more costly to incorporate in BVI compared to other tax havens such as Belize, and the ongoing fees are also higher. For most, this is a small price to pay for such a top-quality jurisdiction.
Why Do You Need Expert Guidance?
Although incorporating an IBC is generally a fast, affordable, and easy process; it is strongly advised to do so with the guidance of an expert. There are a wide range of options when it comes to where to incorporate your IBC and how best to structure it.
Each option will have its own unique benefits and specific uses. The needs of each individual business owner are different, and so an expert in the field can greatly help you to assess exactly which structure and jurisdiction is right for you depending on your specific requirements and objectives. They can also help guide you through the actual incorporation process, completing much of the documentation on your behalf and ensuring that the process is smooth and successful.
International Business Companies are incredibly useful and legitimate financial tools. Any savvy investor can make use of these advantageous vehicles to help protect and grow their business and personal wealth. There are numerous options out there, and enlisting the services of an expert can be a great help to getting started with the perfect offshore IBC for you.