How To Start an Offshore Company for Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology has gained mass popularity in recent years. This exciting new industry is developing rapidly, and with it, people are searching for new ways to optimise their cryptocurrency activities.
This has led to an increase in the use of favorable offshore structures to increase the profitability and efficiency of crypto-based dealings.
This article delves into the different ways an offshore company can be used for cryptocurrency activities. The three main ways that we discuss include using an offshore company for cryptocurrency trading, investing, and funding.
We also explain how an offshore company can be used to reduce or eliminate taxes on crypto profits, increase privacy, and provide high levels of asset protection. Finally, we outline the practical steps required to setup an offshore company for cryptocurrency, and discuss the importance of adhering to the relevant regulations and licensing requirements.
Table of Contents:
- Ways To Use An Offshore Company For Cryptocurrency
- Offshore Company For Crypto Trading
- Offshore Company For Crypto Investing
- Offshore Company For 3rd Party Funding
- Benefits Of Using An Offshore Company For Cryptocurrency
- Things To Consider When Setting Up An Offshore Company For Cryptocurrency
- Choosing The Right Jurisdiction
- Choosing An Appropriate Business Structure
- Maintaining Compliance With AML And KYC
- Staying Informed Of Developments In Cryptocurrency Regulations
- How To Start An Offshore Company For Cryptocurrency
- Do You Need A License For An Offshore Cryptocurrency Company?
Ways to Use an Offshore Company for Cryptocurrency
There are several different ways to use an offshore company for cryptocurrency activities. The three most common uses are for cryptocurrency trading, investing, and funding.
Offshore Company for Crypto Trading
We previously wrote an article dedicated specifically to using an offshore company for crypto trading activities. In it, we covered aspects such as the attractiveness of cryptocurrency trading, how an offshore company can help in these activities, the best countries in which to setup a company for crypto trading, and how to practically go about it.
In brief, cryptocurrency trading refers to the buying and selling of cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum on digital asset exchanges.
The goal is to make a profit by selling the assets for a higher price than what they were purchased for, or speculating on the price movements without actually owning the underlying asset, through instruments such as CFDs and derivative contracts. Trading usually involves speculating on short-term price movements (anything from minutes to weeks or months).
It is possible to set up an offshore company as a cryptocurrency trading company, which would enable it to trade in cryptocurrencies in the manner previously described. This can have many advantages over trading as an individual, such as greater privacy and tax benefits.
Profits from cryptocurrency trading is usually viewed as income for tax purposes and using an offshore company in a crypto-friendly and tax neutral jurisdiction can reduce or eliminate the income tax you’d need to pay on profits.
Offshore Company for Crypto Investing
Cryptocurrency investing is distinct from cryptocurrency trading, in that it usually involves buying and holding cryptocurrencies over a longer time horizon (typically a year or more). The goal is also to sell them for a higher price than what they were purchased for, simply that the holding time is much longer, and one should be less concerned about short-term price fluctuations.
You can use an offshore company as a holding vehicle for cryptocurrency investments, as well as to provide digital asset investment services to customers. The company need not even be limited to activities related to cryptocurrency and can simultaneously act as a holding company for property, shares, and other assets.
Diversifying along these lines can help protect you from unforeseen losses on your crypto investments.
An offshore company for crypto investing provides similar benefits as for trading, except that profits are viewed as capital gains, and so the jurisdiction and structure should be chosen to minimise capital gains tax as opposed to income tax only.
Offshore Company for 3rd Party Funding
Finally, you can use an offshore company to setup a 3rd-party fund for cryptocurrency activities. These activities can fall either into trading, investing, or both. In other words, you would setup a company to act as an asset investment fund or trade broker.
You can then collect money from various investors and invest and trade in cryptocurrency on their behalf. This is an excellent way to reduce your personal concentration of risk in the cryptocurrency assets you are trading in, as profits would primarily come in the form of salaries and commissions from the investors whose funds are under your management.
Benefits of Using an Offshore Company for Cryptocurrency
We have already outlined some of the benefits of using an offshore company for cryptocurrency in respect to the different types of activities listed above. To expand on this, offshore companies can provide the following benefits for cryptocurrency activities:
- Tax efficiency: Offshore companies can offer significant tax benefits, allowing for more favorable tax treatment of cryptocurrency transactions.
- Anonymity: Using an offshore company can provide a level of anonymity for cryptocurrency transactions, as the company can act as a buffer between the individual and the transaction. This is especially the case in specific jurisdictions where privacy is upheld.
- Asset protection: When used to hold and manage cryptocurrency assets, offshore companies also provide a layer of asset protection. This is due to their limited liability nature, and that they are outside of the jurisdiction of local court orders. This can help to safeguard assets from potential legal or financial risks.
- Increased accessibility: Offshore companies can provide access to a wider range of cryptocurrency exchanges and investment opportunities, as some may not be available in certain jurisdictions.
- Legal compliance: Offshore companies can help facilitate compliance with various laws and regulations regarding cryptocurrency transactions, such as anti-money laundering regulations.
It is important to note that while offshore companies can offer these benefits, they also come with certain risks, such as increased regulatory scrutiny and potential legal issues.
Consulting with a legal or financial professional before setting up an offshore company for cryptocurrency transactions is advisable.
Things to Consider When Setting Up an Offshore Company for Cryptocurrency
There are several important things to consider when setting up an offshore cryptocurrency company:
Choosing the Right Jurisdiction
The jurisdiction in which the company is incorporated can have a significant impact on the tax treatment, legal compliance, and accessibility of the company.
It is important to research and choose a jurisdiction that has a favorable regulatory environment for cryptocurrency companies and that aligns with the company's goals.
Some examples of jurisdictions that are commonly considered to be favorable for cryptocurrency companies include:
- Singapore: Singapore is viewed as one of the most crypto-friendly countries in the world, with a favorable regulatory environment and a proactive approach to the development of blockchain technology. It also levies no capital gains on cryptocurrency transactions, and has a territorial tax system which eliminates income tax for income generated outside of Singapore’s borders
- Malta: Malta has become known as a "blockchain island" due to its favorable regulatory environment for cryptocurrency and blockchain companies. Malta investors who buy bitcoin are not subject to capital gains tax, but may be faced with high income tax for other crypto transactions. This can be reduced or removed altogether by using some of the special structuring options allowable under Maltese corporate law.
- Marshall Islands: The Marshall Islands is a pro-blockchain and pro-cryptocurrency jurisdiction, which passed the Sovereign (SOV) Act in 2018, recognizing the SOV as the country's official digital currency, and established a framework for the regulation of blockchain and cryptocurrency companies in the country.
- Bermuda: Bermuda has also been working towards creating a favorable regulatory environment for cryptocurrency companies. It has established a Digital Asset Business Act which provides a framework for the registration and regulation of cryptocurrency businesses.
You can find many more examples and read more about the best crypto-friendly countries here.
Choosing an Appropriate Business Structure
The type of structure chosen for your crypto-based business can affect the company's legal and tax obligations, as well as its level of asset protection. It is important to choose a structure that best suits the company's needs and goals, and that is specifically beneficial to crypto-based businesses.
Three of the most common structures used are a Limited Liability Company (LLC), Corporation, and an International Trust. Private Foundations have also been successfully used as a vehicle for cryptocurrency activities in some parts of the world.
Of course, each type of structure has its own relative benefits and shortfalls, and it is worth consulting with an expert in blockchain based businesses and offshore finance before deciding on the most appropriate structure for your needs.
Maintaining Compliance with AML and KYC
Anti-money laundering (AML) and know-your-customer (KYC) regulations are designed to prevent financial crime and are applicable to all companies, including those dealing in cryptocurrency. It is important to ensure that the company has adequate procedures in place to comply with these regulations.
This includes collecting certain identification and personal information from your customers in the event it needs to be submitted to the authorities, and having protocols in place to detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and money-laundering.
Staying Informed of Developments in Cryptocurrency Regulations
The regulatory environment for cryptocurrency is constantly changing, it is important to stay informed of developments in the laws and regulations of the jurisdiction in which the company is incorporated as well as the jurisdictions in which it operates. This will help to ensure that the company remains compliant and can adapt to changing requirements.
How to Start an Offshore Company for Cryptocurrency
We have already outlined some of the requirements and considerations for starting an offshore company for cryptocurrency. Here is a summary of the main steps to be taken:
- Select a Jurisdiction: Research and choose a jurisdiction that is favorable for cryptocurrency companies and offers the necessary regulatory environment, tax treatment and asset protections.
- Form the company: This begins with selecting an appropriate business structure and then registering it with the relevant government agency.
- Obtain any necessary licenses and permits: The license requirements for operating a cryptocurrency business varies in different countries. Some do not have a specific cryptocurrency license, but you may need to apply for another license such as a money transmission or brokerage license. Countries with more sophisticated and dedicated blockchain regulations may have special cryptocurrency licenses.
- Open a bank account for the company in the chosen jurisdiction.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant tax laws and regulations in both your home country and the country where the company is registered. It is recommended to hire an attorney who is knowledgeable in both offshore company incorporation and cryptocurrency regulations. Compliance will likely include the implementation of appropriate anti-money laundering (AML) and know-your-customer (KYC) procedures
- Establish a reliable and secure infrastructure for handling and storing cryptocurrency transactions: Cryptocurrency is especially prone to security risks such as cyber-attacks, fraud, money laundering, and so forth. It is your responsibility as a reputable cryptocurrency business to take the steps to provide the utmost security to your customers who use your company for their cryptocurrency activities.
- Register with any necessary regulatory bodies and comply with their requirements.
Starting an offshore company for cryptocurrency can be a complex undertaking, so it is recommended that you seek the advice of a professional who has experience in this area.
Do You Need a License for an Offshore Cryptocurrency Company?
The need for a license for an offshore cryptocurrency company will depend on the jurisdiction in which the company is incorporated and the specific activities it is engaged in.
Some jurisdictions have established regulatory frameworks for cryptocurrency companies that require them to obtain a license or register with a government agency.
For example, in Malta, the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) regulates and supervises Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) and other blockchain-based companies.
Not all countries require a license to trade or hold cryptocurrency, or have specific regulations for cryptocurrency companies, but they may still be subject to laws and regulations regarding money laundering, fraud, and other financial crimes. In these cases, the company may need to register with a government agency or obtain a license to operate legally.
Some common types of licenses which may be required include:
- Broker-dealer license
- Crypto-exchange license
- Fund management licenses
- Money Services Business (MSB) license, etc.
Setting up an offshore company for cryptocurrency can provide several benefits including tax efficiency, anonymity, and asset protection.
There are several ways to use an offshore company for cryptocurrency activities including trading, investing, and funding. It is important to research and choose a jurisdiction that has a favorable regulatory environment and aligns with the company's and your personal goals.
It is also crucial to comply with all relevant laws and regulations regarding cryptocurrency transactions and to consult with legal or financial professionals before making any decisions. Setting up an offshore company for cryptocurrency can be a complex process but with proper research, planning, and advice, it can be a valuable tool to optimize your cryptocurrency activities and maximise the rewards.
- Last updated on .